Wednesday 23 January 2008

The Musical Fruit


The only music I have in my life is TV theme tunes and my arse after a can of baked beans, the two can be combined sometimes for 30 seconds of musical bliss ending in a crescendo of watery lumps. To appreciate that last comment more it is necessary to hear me pronounce watery in my fine Scots dialect it sounds like (wat- ter- ree) with the 'R's rolled.

I've had jobs in which there was a radio blasting away with all the radio one DJ's all day everyday . Not my choice but what can you do? Simon Bates, Steve Wright and Gary Davis, we played the music to drown out the machines as I was once a machine operator making wire fencing.
I got the job because I had extensive fencing experience but that was with swords fighting off the wogs for the Empire not machines but I had loan shark debts to pay off so I kept my gob shut for fear of having my knee-caps busted.

I worked shifts in that soul destroying factory, the only light coming through frosted glass high up near the ceiling, the shadows moving with rats the size of cats that you had to fight in order to keep yer sandwiches for yer lunch, fuck I hate rats, ever since the plague of 65 and that film 'Ben' with Michael Jackson.

I worked 6am - 2pm and 2pm - 10pm at times there was just me and a guy at the other end of the factory who fetched the bails of wire for me with the forklift. I was the machine operator I was like the star of the show.
I did receive some head trauma during that job when a large steel wheel from the wire spools fell on my head splitting it open. It was during the day when others were there and with blood pouring doon my face my fellow worker who was panicking wanted me to run to the first aid office, I told him to wise up as that would look most undignified. I've had many head wounds in my time but ya couldn't tell could ya?

Sometimes on the radio they would play concerts or sessions, that John Peel cunt tortured me no end. Now to reveal my pet hate. I hate live music, on the radio on a record or on stage .
When a famous group sings one of their best and most popular songs and they change the Rhythm , the music and words just enough that you end up looking like a dopey cunt if you try to sing to it.

Ok I get it you've been singing the same fucking songs for the last 20 years, yer bored with it and the enthusiasm has gone as yer now pushing 50 and fat as fuck. Or you don't play the hit songs because you want the crowd to hear some new crap you've done.

Musicians are like mathematicians and do their best work when they are young. Just play the song the way it is on the radio, the way everyone likes it and why they bought it.
I have happy memories bucking yer ma to that song so just play it right. No "hey!" or letting the drunks in the audience sing it, yer the singer do yer fucking job its not karaoke night.
Only very seldom is a cover as good or better than the original . Nirvanna, 'The Man Who Sold The World' that old Bowie song was just as good.

Another dislike of mine is not just the price of music, but you buy a record and get it home. Yer listening to all yer favs but there is no lyric sheet printed out and its not anywhere else on it.
These bands get millions but are not considerate enough to think about the fans that don't understand their cool slurring of the words so for the next 10 years yer singing the start of Van Morrison's 'Brown Eyed Gurl' as "Hey there amigo" instead of "Hey where did we go?"

Many bands these days can only sound good in a studio, you get them out live and they are weak and crackly like a really hot woman who is crap in bed. Sort it out music industry.


12 comments:

Neil J M said...

As I type I'm sitting in the office with Radio 1 whining away in the background. I don't have control over what gets played because I'm just a newbie to the office. I'm convinced, however, that Radio 1 only have ten songs on their playlist, which are rotated ad infinitum on a daily basis. Actually, I think there's only five songs, and they've fabricated another five by chopping up the original five songs and splicing them back together in random order.

If I hear Mika one more time I'm going to throw the girl next to me at the CD player. Oh, and the reason why today's 'musicians' don't play the song live the way it is on record is simple: they didn't play on the fucking record in the first place (hello Timbaland and his sea lion-like 'eh' sounds).

NJM

dai said...

britney looks a bit like she is with child knudsen, have you been to malibu lately?

Unknown said...

I couldn't agree more. When they ad lib shit and you're used to it a certain way, it pisses me off too.

The shit music they're putting out today is mostly technological bullshit. Gone are the days of laying down real music on The 8 Track Reel to Reel. Now they tweak and splice, synthesize and this is why they can't go on tour half the time. Yea, a good portion of them are talentless pukes who happen to look good. It's all a lie and you see their real talent or lack of it when they try to tour.I have yet to figure out, in todays world how half these farkers make it.

BTW, I've had at least 5 concussions myself. Hadn't realized it but it does explain me, huh Da?

h said...

Brilliant post. Although, I'm sort of surprised that you PAY for recorded music. Why?

Or was that reference to "buying" just a way to move the story along?

kara said...

Though Nirvana's version was good...it wasn't *quite* as good as the original. I mean, it would do in a pinch, but what kind of lazy ass gets themselves into pinches? Avoid the pinches.

Old Knudsen said...

neil Jm I remember you, new high powered job going well? given the choice strangely enough I stopped listening to radio one. You have to listen to hours of shite to hear one descent song.

dai they all claim me to be their baby daddy which is why I only do anal for the first 2 weeks to see if I'm ready for possible uncommitment.

babz it went from crooning to shouting and now its talking, not much singing going on unless you like that pretend gospel crap that goes aaahhhhhmaaaaazzzzziinnnngggg gerrace.

trolly baby did I not mention what cunts metallica and don henley are for stealing my free napster? the last music I bought was last century its way too hard to steal these days and then the i-pod things where are the songs?

kara pinch a loaf or bread or pinch off a loaf, pinch more than an inch yep I believe yer right about pinches.

ellie said...

My favourite misheard lyrics are: "It's a hard egg" by Bonnie Tyler and "We built this city on sausage rolls" by Starship. I agree with you about the lyrics sheet

marky said...

Damn! I thought it was Hey there amigo...

Dylan Blowin in the Wind, The ants are my friends, they're blowin in the wind.

Eagles Desperado , You've been outright offensive for so long now...

Elton John Tiny Dancer, Hold me close, tie me down sir...

Joni Mitchell Big Yellow Taxi, A gay pair of guys put up a parking lot....

ellie said...

Hahaha @ Marky

Old Knudsen said...

ellienow I have that starship song in my head and visions of the video full of permed heads.....Thanks

marky getting yer ears syringed is better than hardcore drugs.

ellie make sure you tune in tomorrow, it may be of special interest to you.

ellie said...

I have listened to all 4 of Marky's songs, I think I may need my ears syringed also! Any ideas for a quick fix?

Old Knudsen said...

If you don't have petrol head for the cold meds.