Friday 16 November 2007

Where The Streets Have No Shame


Six homeless people have died on the streets of Belfast in the last 18 months.

Having lived in Belfast I'd see on certain streets and even in parks you have to run the gauntlet of dodgy half drunk people with out stretched hands shouting, "Hey fella, got 20p?" once I had my cap off my head and was holding it as the weather had gotten warmer and some dirty cunty baws shouts over to me, "If ya don't want to wear it I'll have it, " that fella got some of me most choice words and a kicking when I found him asleep in a doorway later on.



I'm Not sure how to take the news of the homeless deaths, is it yay! 6 are dead ? or is it ah c'mon we could do better in 18 months ? I mean whats the right reaction to this ?

I did once find myself walking in the same direction as one of the people who sit and drink bottles of "beat the wife" all day in Ormeau park once, he must have been on something as he was talking a mile per minute, he volunteered such information to me about how the government was paying the rent for the flat he lived in and how he was expecting a £300 bonus benefit near Christmas that was going to pay for a ton of drink and he was getting this and that, doing better than me he was I mean I couldn't afford to get drunk everyday even with the odd 20p tip from a stranger I was working for Hunter Glazing as a glass cutter, the bomb blasts of terrorism was great for the glass business.

I never saw desperate doon on their luck people on the streets of Belfast I'm sure they exist but I just saw people who chose to be there so no sympathy from me, just like in Canada where they have this centre where junkies can go and get clean needles and a room to shoot up or chase the bloody dragon under supervision so they can get medical attention if they overdose, what the fuck? I say overdose yay!

San Francisco even considered the idea for such a place but it was too ghey even for them, no offense to the fudge packers of San Francisco, I loved the "Streets of San Francisco" just not the dirty back alleyways.

8 comments:

Momentary Madness said...

So many reasons for homelessnes it's hard to say what the cause is.
I was there once myself, and would never want to go back.
My own experience tells me, that nobody really wants to be on the street. There could be no logical reason to want to sleep in all kinds of weather with all kinds of crazies around you, and just being there makes you "one of them." (Whether or not you are, you will be in a short time)
I'm not goin' to put money in every hat I see along the street. I don't have that much to begin with, but theoretically I would give any homeless person a helping hand, for I know deep down they are sad for want of human warmth, and lost, not able to find it/there way back.
Y;-) Paddy Anon.

witchypoo said...

If I don't have something to spare to give homeless folks, I at least look them in the eye and don't pretend they are invisible.
Unless they're hammered. There's no talking to anyone who is hammered.

Old Knudsen said...

paddy in civilised countries homeless folk can get government assistance, if they would rather drink and get high then let them the lord helps those who helps themseleves. Saddam just needed a hug I reckon.

witchypoo not being a cash machine myself I don't hand out money, I do treat people how I'd like them to treat me until they try to fuck me over or I know they are lying to me, many homeless sit about drinking and then expect you to take pity on them and get angry when you don't, I remember the good old days when the police would move them on instead now they get in yer face and demand money.

ellie said...

Did you really work for John Hunter? My mates sister was engaged to him once upon a time!
He was too busy with work to devote time to the relationship and they split .. I kid ye not.
She ended up opening a fast food place in Shaftesbury Square.
Like you need to know this!!!

Old Knudsen said...

Was it spuds? as for yer question about John Hunter, I'd say no but I did hire him once.

ellie said...

Im shocked ... it is Spuds!

Old Knudsen said...

Its a small world after all.

Manuel said...

it's funny you say that I haven't seen Ginger Gerry in ages.......