Saturday 24 November 2007

First Love Never Dies

I was just thinking about the first video film I ever watched, it was Hawk the slayer and it was at a friends hoose who could afford such extravagant top loading hi-tech machines known as a video recorder. Fuck they were expensive, TVs only had 3 channels back then and there was nothing on after midnight.

You'd have children just so you would have a human remote control to get up and push the big clunky buttons. One of the channels was BBC2 which only showed crap so you'd be doon to two choices.
That same friend with the video recorder exposed me to all things Ninja in years to come, the America Ninja series taught me to hate. Eventually Radio Rentals made it possible for me to rent my own VHS machine in the late 80's, by then we had 4 TV channels, ah the choice was too great.

John Terry who played Hawk the slayer recently played Jack's drunken surgeon father on Lost, I didn't know that until I did this post.

I still haven't gotten over the phasing out of records and now VHS is vanishing, fuck the rain forest and the whale, save the video.

Do any of you cunts remember yer first video?

9 comments:

ellie said...

Abba - The Movie, my Dad bought the video player after a win on the horses. It was a betamax top loader and weighed 4 stone.

Old Knudsen said...

It takes a brave woman to admit that.

ellie said...

Oh yeah ... the remote control had a wire which trailed across the floor between the video and my Dad's chair and everytime someone got up to go out of the room he tutted and told them to be careful not to stand on it!

Old Knudsen said...

I've never saw one with a remote on a wire technology is incredible, what remotes have done for wanking has never truly been recognised.

ellie said...

Suppose my Da had a point, who would want someone standing on their wire half way through Does your Mama know!

Old Knudsen said...

That is just wrong on so many levels.

marky said...

Haha. Video. I have heard of that VHS thing. Was that aroond WWII?

Old Knudsen said...

I knew you were about 10 years old.

Xmichra said...

we had a Beta, and it was one of tose fancey types with the corded remote contol! Yes, that was the luxurious door prize my mother won at the legion one lucky year. We watched mostly recordings of Dynasty (my mothers fav soap that she could new record) and later on, after she realised that renting a movie was cheaper and less agrivating for her to bring her rugrats to the theatre, we were lucky enough to watch Gremlins. So that was my first real movie that i watched at my house.

Incedentally, i can not watch freaky movies. go figure.