Sunday 7 January 2007

Now I've Finished.

Magnus Magnusson the former presenter of the quiz show mastermind has died aged 77. Born in Iceland but moved to Scotland aged one he had been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in October.

A broadcaster, journalist and writer I've always liked him, not a wife beater, crackhead or abuser of power but a scholar and a gentleman. I own a copy of his book Scotland, the story of a nation so therefore I must like him .
He had that catchphrase on Mastermind that when he was asking one of those long questions and the buzzer went he stated,"I've started so I'll finish" and continued giving the contestants the chance at answering.
He died peacefully at his home in Glasgow surrounded by his wife and children.
In a statement his children said.

"Magnus was the most generous, steadfast, loving and loved of husbands and fathers. He taught each of us how to live, and in the last few weeks he has taught us how to die. He did both with infinite grace."

Rest in peace.

4 comments:

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

Ohh i'm sorry to hear this, he was indeed an interesting man. No-one has been able to replace that voice really and the stiff, correct style with which he delivered. The black chair will certainly be empty without him.

boudica of suburbia said...

I hope I can breed such eloquent children someday.

Sam, Problem-Child-Bride said...

Sad news indeed.

Old Knudsen said...

He was one of the good guys and his kids are a fitting tribute to him.