Monday 23 October 2006

The Wickerman Revisited.


To the north west of Scotland lies the Hebrides, these desolate Isles are famous for Harris tweed, burning policemen in wicker effigies and Sam, Problem-Child-Bride. Beautiful scenery, just avoid visiting during a full moon and if you see naked weemen dancing around a fire don't buy a six-pack and wander down with your camera phone.
The Isle of lewis has been called the windiest place in Europe, they should come to my hoose when Billy one ear is here, windy and smelly, I think he saves them up just for me.
Well those silly cunts at the Western Isles council have already given the go ahead to put up 234 giant wind turbines onto Lewis to generate 702 megawatts of power, the largest of these stations in Europe.
This will give the locals 330 jobs for the estimated 4 years of building, that's if they want them, if not then the Poles or Slavs will happily do the work, those dirty shites will think being up there is like a summer camp.
The Islanders are quite rightly going on about the view from their kitchen windows being spoiled and even though the island's population has been sliding down for years they are worried about their community coming to an end and don't want the turbines, well just the mouthy ones that were asked.

Old Knudsen has a better idea, build more Nuclear power plants, reopen all those closed pits and get that fucking coal out.

The people of the Hebrides are so special (which is why everyone leaves) with their Gaelic speaking , lowest birthrate in Britain and primitive ways, why should they be brought into the 21 st century? have they not noticed the lack of fishing to be had? Their way of life is over, the only thing they excel at is a high deathrate, gurn up, you're part of this Earth too, we want your wind.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wind turbines are great (they've put enough of the buggers up in Norfolk for us to have grown used to them).
But why build 'em all the way up in the Hebrides, then put thousands of pig ugly pylons all the way to the cites?
Build the sodding things in the cities!
I'd dearly love to see London swamped with ten thousand wind turbines.
The Hebrides can get all the warmth they need from burning policemen.

Dick Headley said...

Och they're probably all Scottish Arts Council executives with summer cottages and hippies on pensions. What would they be wanting with bloody great windmills?

sammy.the.k said...

Gaelic may be a dead language, but still a great one.

aithinne boma bhur tv

Old Knudsen said...

dive The Hebrides are full of wind mostly due to diet so turbines make sense there, the cities are full of Chavs and hoodies and the like,so until they start using them as a source of power we have to go with what we've got, I'd like to see london swamped with tens of thousands of hungry Bears but thats just me.

dh Are you suggesting that people would put their own needs and likes before an environmentally friendly source of power? why I'm disgusted.

sammy I'ts trendy, like the red Injun trend, at the time of its power no one wants to be connected with it, then all of a sudden everyone is Irish or Injun, learning it won't do you much good unless you learn the Welsh version and go live in that god forsaken country where its most widely spoken.

Foot Eater said...

Chavs? I thought you called them 'neds' up there. I'm beginning to suspect that you're really from Surrey or Tunbridge Wells or some such place, Mr K.

Old Knudsen said...

I knew poking at the Welsh would get your back up, I'll call them what I want, I'm a victim of a media culture its not my fault.

Dick Headley said...

foot eater makes a good point. I too have noticed the occasional idiomatic inconsistency. 'Victim of a media culture' is good....I may use that excuse myself sometime. Dick.

sammy.the.k said...

in case you were wondering what i said in my shitty gaelic, was firebomb your tv.

Old Knudsen said...

dh Don't agree with him, it just encourages him, like feeding stray dogs, what did you call me? an idiomatic? I'm so sorry for not fitting into the stereotype you all have me pegged with, ach aye de noo now fuck off, I've got some Haggis to eat and some Andy Stewart to listen to.

sammy I did wonder and then I gave up, me haggis was getting cold, there are plenty of Fenian fuckers out there to help you out with violent Gaelic sayings to yell before you petrol bomb someone or something, the IRA have time on their hands now after losing the Troubles conflict.

adair said...

I don't know anything about wind turbines or the discussion you boys are bantering about...

but thinking of the isles and the Hebrides makes me think of one of my favorite movies of all time "I Know Where I Am Going" (1945) with Wendy Hiller.

I think I'll have to post about that later.

Dick Headley said...

Wendy Hiller? Hmmm...rings a bell. Wasn't she with the 'Bulgarian Windmill Erctors' or am I thinking of James Blunt?

Old Knudsen said...

adair damn it I was going to do a post about that one, ah well I guess I'll do Die Hard instead.

dh you're thinking of Windy Miller from Camberwick green, and the number 38.

adair said...

knudsey -- you can't have everything! :)

but if you're REAL NICE to me maybe I'll consider letting you have it...

I was once given the compliment of being very wendy hiller-esque -- and that is how I stumbled upon her movies.

Old Knudsen said...

There is a real lack of explosions and terrorists eating lead in that film, its all yours, you'll find that once my superpowers kick in I can have everything.

Foot Eater said...

You can poke at the Welsh all you like, but please, be responsible and use a condom.

Old Knudsen said...

The thought of dirty Welsh woolen sex is repulsive, the Welsh actually drink phlegm so they can pronounce the words of their own language,they make the Irish look good, yeah ok none of that would put me off, I'll remember your advice.

CrankyProf said...

We spent three weeks in Scotland for our honeymoon, and four days of it were on Mull and Iona.

I damn near froze my ass off in Iona. The idea that Lewis is windier boggles my mind.

Sassy Sundry said...

Funny, we are having a similar problem near where I live. I don't know all the details, but from what I can gather, NIMBY (Not In My Back Yard) is in full swing over a proposal to put up some turbines.

Old Knudsen said...

crankyprof It may have been cold and windy but it was nice 'clean' cold and windy air, and people still ask whats under me kilt, frozen testicles thats what.

sassy sundry I'm all for sun, wind and water power, only a moron would want to continue on the road we are on now or a CEO, (same thing)I'd feel as smug as a hybrid owner if I had windmills in my area.

Unknown said...

This sounds like one of my backyard BBQ's;
"Beautiful scenery, just avoid visiting during a full moon and if you see naked weemen dancing around a fire don't buy a six-pack and wander down with your camera phone."

Surely, a dangerous affair!

Old Knudsen said...

BBQs are not for the weak.